It was a pretty traumatic first week of being a 1 year old. This last Thursday I noticed Jack was constantly whining, nose running and felt a little warm. I took him to the pool to cool off and just figured it was an incoming tooth or his 1 year vaccinations bothering him. But by bedtime Jack had a thermometer up the wrong alley and it read a temp. of 104. Jacob and I panicked because the last time Jacob had a 102 temp. he thought he was about to kill over and die, so we couldn't imagine what 104 felt like for a baby. Jack was also wheezing with little short breaths. All you pro parents out there probably think this is nothing, but we were FREAKED!! Since it was after hours we had to call the pediatricians nurse line and after going through the symptom matrix they tell us to go to the emergency room because he must be seen that night.
At about midnight we headed to Dell Children's and Jack still had a 104 temp. He saw a nurse that took all his vitals then told us to keep him cool (aka. Jack was in a room full of strangers in his nakedness). Finally we get into to see our doctor who I'm pretty sure was John Cryer. He tells us our little man has the croup. They took a few x-rays in a contraption that completely traumatized me forever. It looked like some crazy version of Hannibal Lecter's mask from Silence Of The Lambs. Awful! Luckily the x-rays showed nothing on the lungs.
The croup really sucked. He was guaranteed to have a fever for 3-4 days and had tons of junk and muck in his chest. Poor little dude. We finally left the hospital at 4:30 am and got Jack and ourselves into bed. We were all pretty much a bunch of hot messes on Friday, but I am happy to report Jack is now on the mend and seems to be almost cured.
Let's try not to go through that again little man!!





OH NO!!!! I am so sorry this precious little man was sick....so hard on the parents too!!! Glad he's better!
ReplyDelete