House Projects: The Faux Fireplace

Since moving in to our new house we have had project after project that we want to do to make this place our own.  We didn't want to take up a lot of space in our downstairs living room with a huge or bulky entertainment center since our main TV is upstairs.  I had seen lot's of ideas for faux fireplaces on Pinterest (of course) that looked pretty sweet.  And Jacob wanted to custom build something so he would have room for the cable box, dvd player and whatnot.  


We decided we wanted our faux fireplace to be a mesh of these three.

So Jacob, Jack and Doug got to work.  They measured and mapped out a plan, built it with boxes to make sure it would logistically work, then they made a trip (or 2) to Home Depot. 


Next stop was painting and tiling.  Jacob did an amazing job on his first tile putting togethering. 


Our goal was to be able to fit all of the TV gadgets and boxes and what not in the cubbies and give Jacob room behind the fireplace to make any wiring adjustments he needed to make over the years without ever having to move the fireplace.  We wanted to put in our stacked wood to cover up the big space at the bottom where an actual fire would go, but have it so we could remove it and put it back whenever needed.

We got a few logs from Ben's house and chopped them up into all different lengths and sizes so it would look like real stacked firewood.  I got to help with this part.  I have to say my saw skills are impressive. :)  Then I matched all the logs so they would fit on our piece of board.  Jacob painted the board black and we started to drill each piece of wood on the board.  And came out with this pizza pie-esq looking masterpiece.  It was freakishly heavy!



All that was left to do was screw the wood board into place and our fireplace was done.  I think they did an amazing job.  I haven't gotten the chance to decorate it yet, but so far it's looking pretty fabulous and takes up no space at all.


NEXT PROJECT: Reclaimed wood console table...it's almost finished!


2 comments

  1. It is BEAUTIFUL!! I know you will have it wonderfully decorated in no time. "Good job" to all!

    ReplyDelete