Colorado and Red River 2014

After a long drive (Clive was unhappy pretty much the entire trip except for when he was sleeping or if we were playing Willie Nelson jams) we finally arrive at grandmas house in CO. Within 5 minutes we were already prepping the sweet corn for dinner.  Grandma made a meal for about 20 people, and it was delicious!

Then a quick test drive of grandpas International

I brought up the toys from downstairs. This doll house has been played with by pretty much every kiddo thats ever set foot in this house.

The next morning we headed out to the Pueblo zoo

It was HOT in Pueblo that day, like 101 degrees hot, and grandma Edith does not have air conditioning.  Mainly because you don't really need it in CO, however we happened to arrive in a heat wave.  We decided the boys would probably nap better in the car, and so we could also stay out and do more things.  After a quick nap, we went to Gray's Coors so Jake could have his slopper.  A slopper is a bowl full of french fries and two open faced burger patties topped with onions, tomatoes and green chilies.
 

Next stop was the Pueblo Aircraft Museum

Then off to visit Uncle Warren.  Uncle Warrens house usually always involves a close encounter with animals and a really cool vehicle.

Jack helping him feed the baby cows

The sky looked pretty amazing!

Finished off our day back at grandmas with some fresh watermelon

We were only in CO for a few days.  On our way out we stopped by Musso's to grab some produce for our week in Red River, NM.

Ready to go fishin'!

First stop in RR is always to Williams to get your fishing license

We got suited up as soon as we unpacked so that we could make sure we used that license on day 1

That next morning we headed to Old Timers for the biggest pancakes I've ever seen.  They send you home with the leftovers in a pizza box.  Insane!

We had a fun first night hanging out and grilling burgers with Ben and Shawn.
Jack was pretty excited for everyone else to arrive too.

The Chambers car arrived! 
Jack spotted a giant box of cars our first visit to Williams and ever since he saw those, he thought Williams the fishing store sold toy cars.  As soon as Papa Doug got in he wanted to take him to Williams to show him the cars...and of course he left the store with them.

I have to say I enjoy standing in the quiet and beyond beautiful stream in Red River fishing.  I love it!  It's so peaceful.  I also enjoy catching a fish and reeling it in.  However, I have no desire to touch said fish...they are way to slimy and squirmy and it freaks me out.  But it's hard to always have someone right next to me who can rush over and grab my fish.  So this year I bought a towel and decided I would grab my fish with this mini towel attached to my vest then de-hook the little guy (which I've never done before in my fishing career either).  So Jen and I go out, I catch my fish, she rushes over to help me out.  We were smooth like butta...she grabs my net and put him in there.  I grab my towel still attached to me and grab that fish, and so far I'm doing well...until he starts to squirm. ugh! I get goosebumps just typing it.  I immediately say "Jen, hold this!" and just handed her my fish. Luckily she was cool with it and she held it while I de-hooked him and we set him free!!

Fishing pros I tell ya...well sort of!

Jake de-hooking my fish for me.  Such a good husband :)

Jack and Clive practicing their fishing skills

Our cabin was right on the stream with a great backyard, so we hung out and grilled out there most nights.

The deer were not afraid of people.  This guy giving Jack a kiss

The next day the rest of the Pearson crew arrives.

We took a group trip out to Taos for the afternoon.  First stop is lunch at Eske's Brew Pub.

We then take the boys to Twirl, a toy store that also has a massive playground. 

Then my favorite stop is Taos Mesa Brewing...it's the most beautiful brewery I've ever seen!  We made sure to fill up our growlers with some beer to take home.

More fishing and playing

Jake and Honey took the boys on a walk downtown for some ice cream

Jack now screams "QUESO" super loud while taking every picture...it's hilarious, mainly because it frightens everyone else who is near him.

Goodbye Red River!  Until next year.

2 comments

  1. What a fun trip!! I enjoyed it all over again through your blog. Those boys make me laugh, and you mamas are just stylin'! Can't wait until next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great trip!! What fun!!!

    ReplyDelete