1st Father's Day

Yes, I realize we take a lot of naps
(Jacob Post)

This past weekend was a great one, capped off Sunday with my first Father's Day...I snuck in just in time.

On Friday, my coworkers LJ and Erin came by to meet Jack and brought goodies for an in-home happy hour...including alcohol infused whipped cream.  Seriously.  Then the Botterman's came over and brought some of Terra's famous baked ziti.  I may or may not have made her leave her dish so I could eat more later that night.  Terra, if you are reading this, that dish is washed and I will bring it back to you soon.

On Saturday, my family came over to celebrate Father's Day with my dad.  We had a bbq feast that could have fed 50.  Somehow we came away with zero pictures from the evening, but I can promise you it was a good time had by all.

Then came Sunday.  I woke up fairly early and Jack and I made many laps around the house while Stacey got some much needed rest.  We then spent the morning reading one fish two fish and flawlessly executed some tummy time...Jack is indifferent about the reading, but is clearly not a fan of tummy time.  After we worked up a good appetite, Stacey and Jack took me to Garden Cafe for a Father's Day brunch (which has quickly become one of my favorite eateries in Dallas).

Since it was Father's Day, they had a special Father's Day all you can eat Brunch.  I don't know what happens to me when I'm encountered with an all you can eat option, but I for some reason feel like I need to eat as much as possible or it is not worth it.  I guess it goes back to my old all you can eat days at Furr's cafeteria (their fried fish and tarter sauces is delicious!)...or maybe I watch too much Man vs Food.  Anyway, no joke, this is what I took down:

  1. Salad
  2. Migas
  3. Two sausage patties
  4. Roasted potatoes
  5. 1 pancake
  6. A piece of cornbread 
  7. A trio of brisket tacos
  8. Cheese grits
  9. 1/2 a sweet potato pecan muffin
  10. A small slice of key lime pie
  11. A small slice of coconut pie
After I woke up from my food coma, we walked home and Stacey and Jack gave me my Father's Day gifts.  I scored an electric spice grinder (which goes nicely with my mortar and pestle, so now I can grind anything!) and a very fancy ice cream scoop that is constructed to easily release the ice cream.  Do you see a theme for the day?

After that, we continued my eating, er, Father's Day festivities over at the McDonough's.  It was Jack's first social outing and his first time meeting his new buddy Ryan.  You can check out Michelle's blog for a good recap along with some fun pics of the whole group: http://mcdonoughdailydimples.blogspot.com/2011/06/happy-fathers-day.html

I have to admit, being a father has been pretty sweet so far.

1 comment

  1. 1. You gotta take pictures!!! Those of us over here in Tarrant County wanna see pictures!!!! 2. He's not indifferent to the reading. He's just playing hard-to-get. Seems like I remember a young gent in 6th grade who was um....shall we say...perfecting the indifferent pose?? Don't let him fool you...he loves the sound of your voice....keep up that reading!!!! I check your blog everyday...I love to see what you guys come up with!

    ReplyDelete