Scotland Part 2: Dornoch

Next stop was Dornoch. We took a train from Edinburgh that was about 4 hours. We picked up two vans and then drove ourselves to Dornoch. Driving in Scotland was quite an adventure. Spencer was chosen as one of the drivers and his van was also a standard...not only are you driving on the wrong side of the road in a standard, but they don't have traffic lights, it's all round-a-bouts. There are so many rules to round-a-bouts that it was a little scary, but both Jacob and Spencer were great drivers!

We got to stay in the beautiful Dornoch Castle. 

That evening we planned a special surprise 50th wedding anniversary dinner for mom and dad. Jen and I had created wedding hats out of oatmeal boxes just like the ones moms bridesmaids wore and Jen got all the guys Buddy Holly glasses similar to what dad wore back in the day.

We also got them a framed family tree since this trip was spurred from finding our ancestors in Scotland. 

Everyone saying goodnight. One good/bad thing about Scotland in the summer is that it doesn't get dark until about 10pm. The good for me is that I was ride or die till forever in Scotland...I was able to stay up and play all night there, where in TX I'm usually ready for bed at 9p! The bad was trying to get the boys to go to bed on time since it was always bright outside.

Next up Orkney Islands!

No comments